First it was Chris Kreider, down long-term with a rib resection that followed discovery of a right-arm blood clot. Then it was Kevin Shattenkirk, out for an extended period following left knee surgery to repair a meniscus tear through which he had been playing with since the second week of training camp.
Now the faltering Rangers, winners of just three of their past 10 games (3-7) and six of their past 17 (6-9-2), will be without Pavel Buchnevich for an indefinite period. The first-line right winger sustained a concussion in taking an accidental elbow to the jaw from Jake Gardiner in a center-ice collision midway through the second period of Thursday’s 4-0 Garden defeat to the Maple Leafs.
Buchnevich, done for the night upon leaving the ice immediately thereafter, had recorded six points (2-4) over the previous six games since being elevated to the top unit with Rick Nash and Mika Zibanejad. The Russian has recorded 32 points in 50 games of uneven use, with his 13 goals fourth behind Michael Grabner (21), Nash (15) and Zibanejad (14). His secondary stats rate extremely high.
He is going to be missed as the Rangers attempt to reverse course on a challenging two game trip with stops in Nashville on Saturday and in Dallas on Monday. But as coach Alain Vigneault frames things, this is a next-man-up scenario, with Jimmy Vesey, in fact, that next man.
“I think it’s a great opportunity,” Vigneault said. “Right away I think of Jimmy, all year long he’s been begging for more ice time. Now he’s going to get the opportunity to play with Mika and Nasher. He has to elevate his game. The team has to elevate its game.”
Vesey has recorded just one point (a goal) in his past 10 games, during which he has bounced among six different combinations, landing most often on the fourth line. The sophomore has 17 points (10-7) in 51 games following his 27-point (16-11) rookie season.
“Certainly it’s an opportunity for me to chip in and play a more offensive role but I don’t the fact that I’ve been on different lines as an excuse for anything,” Vesey told The Post. “I’m going to be with two very good players. I’m definitely looking to cash in.”
Despite the recent fallow stretch, the 24-year-old winger believes he has made progress in his second NHL season.
“I think I’m a better player than I was last year,” Vesey said. “There are still ups and downs and there are still some inconsistencies I need to eliminate, but overall I think I have been more consistent with my play. It’s funny, I think my game was on an upswing heading into the bye week, so that break probably wasn’t good timing for me. This All-Star break probably did come at a good time.
“I’m still developing, but I’m playing with more confidence. I want to do my best to contribute and be a big part of turning this back around.”
Unless an emergency strikes, the Rangers do not intend to recall a forward from the AHL Wolf Pack in the immediate future. Thus, the Blueshirts will go with 12 forwards and seven defensemen, with Steven Kampfer the designated extra.
While Vesey skated at practice with Zibanejad and Nash, Michael Grabner shifted to the left with Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello, J.T. Miller moved to the left with Peter Holland and Jesper Fast, and Paul Carey moved in on the fourth line with David Desharnais and Cody McLeod.